Saturday, April 15, 2006

Moving homes and other stuff

I have been spending most parts of this entire week either at Glu or trying to move out to my new apartment. Looking for a place to stay in London is harder than solving an optimization problem with defined constraints. My interview at Google is very soon and I am very excited aboout it. It is one thing that I noted about Google that is atleast different from Microsoft, Google's hires a lot of "academically" bright students, and I mean students from the good schools with the good grades. I have been reading a couple of profiles and quite a handful of them even have PhDs. I think Microsoft puts much more emphasis on programming quality and ability than any other thing.

I have been working on my MRA visualization. Somewhere in VTK i am having problems trying to render an ITK image. Apparently some common VTK rendering functions (such as ray-casting, MIP) can only render volumes with voxel scalar values that are of type unsigned short/char. The ITK images which I have are of type signed ints. It does not make sense to me why VTK designers would want the format to be unsigned short/char. unsigned makes sense, but why short and not an int?

At the same time, I am also working on a coursework which was due ages ago. Here is a rendering of the skull using Back-to-front (BTF) compositing. The rendering is very basic since I have only used a single threshold and no lighting model. I have also limited the colors B/W as I wanted to get an X-ray like image. The original volume is from a CT scan though. So here you go, your CT to X-ray converter.


No comments: