Monday, April 30, 2007

Doubts over saddle point locations

I set off to another glorified week when I intend to investigate the possibility implementing an automatic pulmonary vein detector. From the segmented atrium I wish to locate the pulmonary vein drainage ostium automatically so that their diameters can be calculated by some interactive means.
I had doubts over whether the saddle point algorithm was correctly detemrining the points on the image. A thorough close-examination of the algorithm and after some gruesome hours of analyzing the basic component maps I have come to the conclusion that the saddle point algorithm is working fine. I may not be color coding the BC maps correctly at times, so when the saddle points are overlaid over a color-coded BC map, they appear to be located over points which are not boundaries between two adjacent components. This is the case since the color mapper needs to be fine-tuned and by default neighboring components sometime get the same color.
The tube ride today was very instrumental allowing me to finally think of a way the automatic PV drainage detection can be done. I have noticed that the atrium is nicely subidivided at the ostiums for most of the cases. The only thing that needs to be done is to characterize these ostiums interms of the subdivisions or perhaps saddle point diameters.

No comments: